FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Devforce Architecture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ujjawal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ujjawal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devforce Architecture
    Posted: 20-Apr-2011 at 11:02pm
Hi i am a developer and i am going to migrate my old desktop application to new web based. we will be using silverlight, Devforce and callibuirn.micro for MVVM. I am very much confused about the architecture of this new project as lots of new technologies are there. my all business logic are in a vb dll and old application is heavily dependent on store procedures in the database. i have few question in mind if somebody can help me out ?

1 . using entity framework in a web based application would be fine ??
2. how the architecture will be ?? i.e what will be the different layers ?? where devforce will fit into this and where EF will fit ?

can some body help me in designing the layered architecture of this new project. will be good if some body attach a graphical file for reference so that it can be better understood .

Thanks in advance.

gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 1:28pm
Hi,

1.  Yes, the Entity Framework is fine in a web-based application.  DevForce works very closely with the EntityFramework. 

2.  DevForce is the component which helps you get the data across the wire.  In a nutshell, it creates a WCF service for you automatically, and then lets you communicate to the server through the WCF service.  This is how the data gets from the database down to your application, and then back up to the Server again.  If you didn't use DevForce, you would have to write the WCF service by hand.

If you just getting started, there are some great videos that Ward did that show a sample application being written from scratch. Then create a new project with a DevForce template and try connecting to your database.

While you can use stored procedures for business logic, it's not really a good idea on multi-tiered web application.  More typically, you will have logic in the domain entities (domain centric) or in a middle tier before the database (the ViewModel in MVVM).  This makes it much easier to switch databases if you should ever need to do that.

Sorry, don't have any good graphics to hand that show this.

Greg
DenisK View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the response Greg.

Actually, our new DRC has a good write up and graphics on this.

ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 4:33pm
We are also developing a DevForce-Caliburn reference MVVM architecture. It is not yet officially released (there are a few places we still need to document), but you can access the bits here:

We also have a professional services team to help if you need additional guidance on best practices or architecture that is not in our documentation. Send an email to info at ideablade dot com if you're interested in this.

Post Reply Post Reply