FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

hookfunctions and workflow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hookfunctions and workflow
    Posted: 22-Sep-2010 at 7:56am
I'm wrestling with some application design issues:

1) Is there a way  to add common behaviour (not only interfaces) but methods, properties to the entity classes. I filled the injected basetype (->BaseEntity) in the EMdesigner and created a developper  partial class with the same name. Point is the propperties of all the subclasses are not available and can't be manipulated at this time

Use case: deletion in UI is captured in VM or BO (or EM) and instead an update is executed (set active = 0). All the tables in the database have an active field.

An other use case :
The Rowversion number should be updated after updating a table.

in other words:
I'm Looking for an appropriate way  to intercept all kinds of events and relay them to all kind of methods. It would be nice to make all kind of hoofunctions which I could implement in the BO or the VM  . The VM is the most logical place for the eventcapturing, the BO for the hookfunctions.

Maybe I look in the wrong direction and should focus on the EM, subclassing / wrapping in helperclass for specific needs

The problem here is we have our own framework in VFP which has  many-many hookfunctions on critical places where every developer can put extra code. There is an Enterprise layer for common enterprise functionality\layout and an applicationlayer for  common application functionality.

A part of our quest is how we re-construct this architecture in DEvForce...

WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2010 at 10:51am
The easiest way to inject custom logic into any generated entity property is with "Property Interceptors". You can write interceptors that leverage your inheritance tree.

Here is a DRC (DevForce Resource Center) search with links: http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Search?text=interceptor 

We also have life-cycle events all over the place including entity creation and deletion. You should be able to intercept Delete() call on a sub-class and reroute to toggle the Active flag. You'll have to take care of hiding / showing entities based on that flag.

Send us a list of specific VFP hooks that matter to you. We may be able to map those to DevForce functionality. Please focus on the ones that matter :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply