New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Vista related deployment problems.regarding write permisions on directories and files
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Vista related deployment problems.regarding write permisions on directories and files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista related deployment problems.regarding write permisions on directories and files
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:08pm

Please advise as to the proper redistrubition strategy for the DevForce dlls.  I have installed all of them in the GAC.

This allows the installing admin to run the product but noone else.

The documentation is very confuing on this issue.

I resolved the issue by setting write permissions for all users on the install directory. 

It seems that IdeaBlade creates a log in the install directory.

Is there a way to stop this behavior?

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 12:09pm

These seem to be Vista related installation issues.  We face these and similar issues ourselves.  For example, we install the IdeaBlade Tutorials in our installation directory.  This works fine on all platforms but Vista, but on Vista, a non-Administrator can not build the tutorials because of the write restrictions on the output directory.  The solution is to do as you have done and add write permissions to the install directory (thereby breaking one of the rules of Vista certification), or to copy the tutorials to a directory that your users can write to.  Everyone I know complains about this rule.

I am not sure that t know what you mean by the log in the install directory created by IdeaBlade.  Do you mean the DebugLog.xml file in C:\Program File\IdeaBlade DevForce?  If so, I don’t seem to see them any more.  Typically, if you run a DevForce application or utilty that uses a loose or embedded IdeaBlade.ibconfig, there will be a DebugLog.xml file deposited in the directory of the executable.   If you don’t want the log file, set the name of the Logging file to the empty string.

Post Reply Post Reply