FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DevForce using SQL Server 2005 CE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3stan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DevForce using SQL Server 2005 CE
    Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 3:14am
Hi,

Do DevForce support the SQL Server 2005 CE as its main Data Source? Because from your Object Mapper in choosing Data Source I cannot see the SQL Server Modile as a provider.

Thanks,
Mark
pkarsh View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote pkarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 1:22pm
The Object Mapper (OM) connection requires an OLEDB provider as the OLEDB provider supports the data definition language (DDL) commands that OM needs to discover tables and columns in order to generate business object classes. I installed SQL Server Compact Edition on one of my (virtual) machines. I could see that the install included a dll whose name strongly suggested that it was an OLEDB provider, but the CE install did not do what needs to be done to make this provider visible to the system. If I open up a UDL file (totally outside the scope of DevForce) a list of OLEDB providers is shown but not one for SQL Server CE. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to make this provider visible to the system?
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 1:34pm
To program against SSCE, you use an ADO.NET managed provider with data access coding patterns similar to what you use for other managed providers, such as the SQL Server SQLClient managed provider. You can also access SSCE from unmanaged clients by using OLE DB.

Not sure if that helps, but it might mean something to you,
Bill
rbblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rbblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 10:01am
Is this the official answer for this thread?  I'd also like to know.  Sorry, I'm a newb, does the Devforce team answer these posts?
pkarsh View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote pkarsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 11:27am
We do answer these posts. We have a project underway to evaluate the use of SQL Server CE with DevForce but we haven't gotten any positive results yet. As noted above, we require an OLEDB provider to do the data object mapping that is the foundation for DevForce application development, and we haven't yet been able to bring up an OLEDB provider that connects to the CE server.
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 1:57pm
SQL Server CE will be supported in DevForce 3.5.5.1 which is projected to release on November 1, 2007.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 2:00pm
David,

Please enter this as an announcement under a new thread.  Some may not follow this thread, so may not become aware of the good news.

Thanks,
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply