FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Performance Issues with Visual Studo 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AdamC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance Issues with Visual Studo 2008
    Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 10:42am
In Visual Studio 2005 I can successfully select all 900+ tables from my database and have DevForce generate the entity classes.  Obviously there are a large number of files created (2 for each table), but I can still compile the project, close and open Visual Studio 2005 without any issues.

However, after I create the same set of entity classes using Visual Studio 2008,  the Visual Studio IDE and the rest of my running applications grind to a halt because the devenv.exe process (the Visual Studio exe) uses 80-100% of the CPU for some unknown reason.  I can close Visual Studio 2008 and re-open, but it continues to pound the CPU for hours.  Any time I re-open the solution, the CPU immediately starts running at 100% and sometimes I get a dialog box with a title "C# IntelliSense" and it says "Processing requests from the background thread".  Note: I do not need to run my application to get this behavior -- I simply have to open the large solution.  When I compile the entities into their own assembly and reference it from a new solution, I do not experience any performance issues.

Has anyone experienced this performance issue before (including IdeaBlade Support)?

I believe this is an issue with Visual Studio 2008 because it runs fine in Visual Studio 2005, but I wanted to make sure this isn't related to the DevForce/ Visual Studio 2008 combo.

I should also note that I downloaded and installed the recent February hot-fix roll-up from Microsoft (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=10826), but it only seems to address several issues that were reported with VS 2008 web scenarios.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 5:22pm
There is only one really severe performance problem that I know of with respect to the Object Mapper and Visual Studio, but we noticed it first with VS 2005.  If you have a large VS project, and happen to open up the Test View window, you can bring Visual Studio to its knees.
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 8:18am
I  asked around and did find one case where we have seen a performance degradation in VS2008 compared with VS2005.  One of our architects reported:

The poster was not specifically asking us for an answer, just if anyone has seen anything.

The poster is also saying he CAN create the classes; the problem is when trying to open the solution or just use a solution with this big model project.  This is all VS and likely has nothing to do with DevForce.   

I did see a performance problem in enumerating projects within a solution in VS2008, and had to re-write some code for v4 that was working w/o any apparent performance hit in VS2005. 

I would check around on VS forums/blogs if I were him.

Edited by davidklitzke - 28-Feb-2008 at 8:18am
AdamC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 8:55am
Yes, I have spent MANY hours checking VS Forums and blogs and have only stumbled upon the one web related hot fix.  My hope is that because Visual Studio 2008 is so new and is not yet generally available, improvements will be made.  Until then I'll stick to VS 2005.  Well, at least until I get my hands on the early adopter version of DevForce EF!  Smile

Thank you for the responses!
AdamC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 8:59am
By the way, I would be happy to provide our database (with no data) if you would like to duplicate this in VS 2008!  Wink  My team is excited about using DevForce and I can't wait to get over this VS 2008 hurdle.
 Post Reply Post Reply