New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: client side couldn't connect, but the server runs well
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

client side couldn't connect, but the server runs well

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monkeyking View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote monkeyking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: client side couldn't connect, but the server runs well
    Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 2:50am
when i do the deployment, i changed the app.config file. 'isDistributed' is set into 'true', remoteBaseURL is set into "http://dragon.factory.lan". then i build the solution and generate the file set for server side and client side, also add all the required DLL files. now, the server side runs properly and it's waiting for request, but my client side couldn't run at all, every time it crashes. what's the problem?

i only made 2 modification on the config files, isDistributed and remoteBaseURL, all others are the default values.

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 8:27am
Well, we need a little more information.

- How are you hosting the server - IIS, ServerConsole, ServerService?
  - Is the server on the same machine as the client?
  - Can you ping that remoteBaseURL from the client (using ping from the command line)?
  - What is the error you receive on the client?  Check its debuglog for more info.

enterprisetoday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote enterprisetoday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2009 at 7:42pm
Hi kimj,

I set up the project for monkeyking so I can answer these implementation questions.

A ServerConsole is running on a separate machine. It claims to be listening:
>ServerConsole.v4.exe
Trying programmatic configuration of EntityService using ideaBlade.v4 section
Listening on http://dragon.factory.lan:9009/EntityService
Listening on http://dragon.factory.lan:9009/
Press <Enter> to end publication.

and indeed it is. I am able to connect to it using netcat, ping, and by browsing to http://dragon.factory.lan:9009/
Service
This is a Windows© Communication Foundation service.
Metadata publishing for this service is currently disabled.
If you have access to the service, you can enable metadata publishing by completing the following steps to modify your web or application configuration file:
1. Create the following service behavior configuration, or add the <serviceMetadata> element to an existing service behavior configuration:

The client error:
{"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."}
Which seems to indicate it's missing something.

UPDATE: I managed to find the inner exception, "Unable to start the EntityServer service" .  This is pretty self explanatory, the client is trying to start the application that resides on a separate server. We'll look at the client code and convince it otherwise.

Here's a file listing on whats on the client.
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users   2429 Apr 30 12:31 DebugLog_1.xml
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users    399 Apr 30 12:29 DebugLog.css
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users   3267 Apr 30 14:58 DebugLog.xml
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users   3123 Apr 30 12:29 DebugLog.xsl
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users 141824 Apr 30 14:43 DomainModel.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users 159232 Apr 30 14:43 GUI.exe
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users    798 Apr 30 14:44 GUI.exe.config
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  86016 Mar  2 14:44 IdeaBlade.EntityModel.Server.v4.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users 380928 Mar  2 14:44 IdeaBlade.EntityModel.v4.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  67072 Mar  2 14:44 IdeaBlade.Linq.v4.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  49152 Feb 23 14:37 IdeaBlade.UI.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  65536 Feb 23 14:37 IdeaBlade.UI.WinForms.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users 274432 Mar  2 14:44 IdeaBlade.Util.v4.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  75776 Mar  2 14:44 IdeaBlade.Verification.v4.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  22528 Apr 30 14:43 Presentation Spirit.dll
-rwxrw---- 1 jzhai domain users  23040 Apr 29 12:34 Presentation Spirit.exe

The developers guide seems to indicate these are the required libraries, as instructed on p449 in the guide.

Thanks for your help,
Dallas

Edited by enterprisetoday - 30-Apr-2009 at 7:59pm
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 8:48am

There are unfortunately a myriad of reasons why a client won't be able to connect to the server.  When the client does make the attempt, we should see tracing messages in both the client-side and server-side debug logs which may help us understand the issue.  So, if you could post these or send to support that will help.  Please also post or send your .config files for both client and server.

Check your firewall software to ensure that the port (9009 in this case) is open on both the client and server.  Firewall issues are a frequent cause for communication failures.

Your client-side file list looks OK, although you don't need IdeaBlade.EntityModel.Server.v4.dll - that's needed server-side only when you run n-tier.

Post Reply Post Reply