FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Confirming SL3 RTW status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confirming SL3 RTW status
    Posted: 16-Jul-2009 at 2:20pm
Just requesting confirmation please that the DFSL 5.1.1 release will compile but wont run against the SL3 July release from MS?

The standard DF SL Template in VS2008 should compile and run out fo the box right, with no changes?  I cannot get it to run after successful build and suspect I need new DFSL assemblies to run with SL3 RTW.

I get this message in browser:
Line: 453
Error: Sys.InvalidOperationException: InitializeError error #2104 in control 'Silverlight1': Could not download the Silverlight application. Check web server settings

There's no xap file in the client bin directory which mught explain why it can't download it...

davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2009 at 3:25pm
Yes.  The DFSL 5.1.1 release will not run against the July Silverlight 3 release from Microsoft.  The DFSL 5.1.1 release will only run against the Silverlight 3 Beta.
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2009 at 5:37pm

After further testing:  the DevForce 5.1.1 Silverlight template application "Hello DevForce" will compile using Sl3 sdk assemblies.  The ClientBin folder of the web application does not automatically receive the client xap file for some reason.  It's the same with the standard visual studio silverlight template too.  For some reason, the client sl application does not automatically copy and/or refresh its version in the web application's ClientBin directory.  Hence, web app cannot find it to download and run, therefore the above error.

A manual copy of the xap file for either DevForce hello world app or VS standard silverlight app to the webapp's ClientBin directory overcomes this issue. 

For now I have set the build output directory of the SL app to be the ClientBin folder of the web app.  I'm not sure if this is the correct practice or not, but at least for now it means I can compile and test application without manually copying the xap file each time. 

I'm wondering whether an app setting somewhere controls this...?

Rgds
bigfish
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2009 at 7:03pm
You are likely to run into additional issues too.  The next version of DevForce, due July 22, is specifically built for Silverlight 3 RTW.
bigfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bigfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2009 at 8:21pm
Thanks, cant wait...  I'll get handy with Blend in the meantime then and do some layouts...

Will a revised PrismExplorer ship at the same time? 

I really appreciate the work done there to explain the Prism goodness and how that relates to DF.  Really great stuff.  I'd like to know what changes are required in PrismExplorer/DF5.2 to get it functioning for SL3...

Thanks
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2009 at 12:31pm
Both Prism and Model Explorers should be updated at about the same time as the July 22 release, and will hopefully have info on the changes involved in the move to SL 3.  We'll probably announce, here or via email, when these are available.
JoshO View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoshO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2009 at 10:20am

Model Explorer and Prism Explorer have been updated to Silverlight 3 RTW. The source code is available for download:

Post Reply Post Reply