FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Simple question about caching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
katit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote katit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple question about caching
    Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 10:42am
I would like to understand how caching actually works.

So, for example I have lookup to show list of Customer. I understand that when I get list first time it becomes cached and next request will bring it from cache.

What if user goes and modifies Customers from different place. For now let's say Customer can be modified using different EntityManager. How do I handle this with cache? How to coordinate updates?

What if Customers changed by some server-side operation not related to my app. How to deal with this scenario?

I guess my question is more about business practices. I understand there is no magic and I need to refresh cache. But I wonder how people do it. Do I setup expiration for cached entities? Or do I let user refresh data if they don't see/find what they need?

In two words what is the business case and how would I use it?
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 1:36pm
Hi Ivan,

I this situation, I suggest you use a push notification. Then a client can be notified if relevant data is updated somewhere else.

You can find more information about the Push notification in the DevForce Resource Center. There is also a sample available at http://drc.ideablade.com/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/code-sample-push-notification

Regards,
   Silvio.
 Post Reply Post Reply