FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How do I create a new module?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I create a new module?
    Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 10:50am
I have read through all of the docs: Release Notes, Cabana Structure and Cabana Reference.  In the Release Notes (p. 2) it states that "Cabana doesn't use SCSF recipes."  The footnote makes a point that the SCSF recipes should not be used.  Instead, the developer should create VS templates.  There are no templates available for module creation--only views.  Should I use the SCSF "Add Business Module (C#)" recipe, or should I use something else?

Bill

Edited by Linguinut - 31-Jul-2007 at 10:50am
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 12:38pm
I am trying to make the SCSF Business Module template work for me.  The biggest issue is namespace. 

If I create the module in the solution root, and name it Cabana.UI.ModuleName, then the namespace is set to "Cabana.Cabana.UI.ModuleName." 

If I create the module in the solution root and name it UI.ModuleName, then the namespace is set to "Cabana.UI.ModuleName."  But, now the project is named differently than the rest of the projects in the UI folder (App.UI.Module pattern).

I tried creating the module in other folders of the solution (eg, "Source") but the same behavior occurs.  If I am going to use the SCSF Business Module template, then what is the trick to naming the module so that consistency is maintained?

Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 1:10pm
I am aborting the use of SCSF to create a business module within Cabana.  I had to turn on the Guidance Automation in order to access the SCSF templates which should have been a clue for me that this wasn't going to work.  Well, after wrestling with the naming, I discovered that it was wasted effort, since there are some view creation issues when creating a project.  The wizard bombs shortly after it starts and does not create anything but the project file and folder.

Then I had this really cool idea about creating my own template by exporting one of the existing projects.  I started working on that but have nearly given up.  It looks like I will need to dig into the ZIP file that is exported and rip out all of the actual project information, then tweak any XML file involved in the project creation.  I don't know what I am doing in template world (one time, I said I would never use them).  I think I am going to try something else.

There were a LOT of people clamoring for the new Cabana.  Somebody must have gotten past this, by now.  Does anyone know how to create a new module?

Bill
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 3:01pm
Hi Bill,

You're right, creating business modules (and other objects) in Cabana is not easy, and we've consciously chosen to not use SCSF recipies.  Ward usually does it by copying an existing Cabana module and changing it to meet his requirements.

The good news is that we've recognized the problem and have created some Visual Studio wizards that make it a lot easier.  We plan to integrate these into the next version of Cabana by the end of this week or early next.  I think you'll find them helpful.

By the way, I'm now working with Ward on Cabana and can help with answering questions.

Thanks,
Bill Jensen

Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 3:07pm
Thanks, Bill.  Kudos on the documentation!  You put a lot of work into those docs.  Excellent resources. 

I was heading down the same path with the business modules.  I created a new empty project and I am starting to fill it with general items (references, folders, etc.).  From this, I am going to export a template for future projects.  It is slow and tedious work (I don't want to miss anything or add too much), but if it pays off when I figure out this CAB/DevForce thing, then it will be worth it. 

I look forward, as always, to what you guys have in store for us.

Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 11:23am
I've struggled for many hours trying to get the template to work the way that I want to.  I have one, but I still need to edit several files after the template runs (renaming, check namespaces, etc.).  I just do not know enough about templating projects.

Are you planning a step-by-step guide for creating a module?  I hate to sound like I need hand holding, but this stuff is really, really complicated.  If I could see something like:

Step 1:  Create project from template.
Step 2:  Add module to ProfileCatalog.
Step 3:  Add views.

Of course, with appropriate explanation and caveats for each step.  Some of the steps are already "baked in" to the module controller.  "AddServices", "ExtendMenu", etc., are somewhat instructional; albeit, a bit sparse, at the moment.  It would be great to take me through from no project to pressing F5 and seeing the module load with its new views.

Thanks,
Bill
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 4:54pm
I understand your frustration...I've gone through it myself. 

I suggest you wait for our new templates and wizards.  They're not perfect, but should help a lot.

Bill J.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 5:20pm
My manager comes back on Monday.  Since I had the training (DevForce with the CAB on Friday) and now the actual updated Cabana application to look at, I think he is expecting something from me.  I will keep working on it until I either figure it out or die trying.

Thanks, again,
Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 10:49am
Bill J,

Any word on the templates for module creation?  I have been able to work through several items in Cabana--menus, layouts, services (quite interesting), etc.--but I am still really struggling with a decent way to make a module.  Copying an existing then restructuring for my purposes is far too time consuming.  I was hoping the DevForce/CAB module templates would be available, by now.  What is the ETA?

Thanks,
Bill
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 2:12pm

Ward and I were testing the templates and wizards yesterday with good success.  We still have some deployment and cleanup issues, but it shouldn't be more that a few days.

Ward and I both have other responsibilities to deal with today, but we should be back at it tomorrow.

The new templates facilitate creating a new (empty) module, then populating it with one or more layout pages then in turn populating the page(s) with appropriate summary and detail views.

I'll keep you posted.

Bill J
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 9:34am
Bill J,

Would you mind updating me about the availability of the templates?

Thanks,
Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 12:55pm
I expected (based on the previous post by Bill J) that the templates would be available a couple of weeks ago.  I waited to bother IdeaBlade for an update on the 17th.  Sorry, IdeaBlade, but I was wondering if you had an update at this time regarding the module templates?  If not, can you provide a realistic estimate of their availability?

Thanks,
Bill
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 12:01pm

Can anyone provide an update about the CAB templates for module creation?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply