FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

IdeaBlade.Cab project type is not available

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tjones2007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IdeaBlade.Cab project type is not available
    Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 1:10pm
I am unable to create a new CAB Business Module because the project selection dialog does not include the Visual C#->IdeaBlade.Cab option.
What can be done to enable this option?
Bill Jensen View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 7:49pm
I trust you have downloaded the Cabana zip file, built the CabanaLib solution and the CabanaXXXCS solution.

You also need to install the Cabana wizards by running the setup.exe program in the IdeaBlade.Cab.WizardInstaller folder.

Once you've done this, the application wizard should appear in your Start menu under IdeaBlade->IdeaBlade.CAB->CAB Application Wizard, and the project and Item wizards should appear in Visual Studio.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Bill Jensen
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 6:19am
I've done all that you mentioned (twice).
Each time I used the IdeaBlade->IdeaBlade.CAB->CAB Application Wizard to create a test app.
While attempting step 1 of the "Add a new Business Module" section of the "CAB Application Guidance" document, I do not see a IdeaBlade.Cab option in the project selection dialog.
The CabanaDotNetCS solution runs fine.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 9:46am
OK.  Just to confirm,  in the Add New Project dialog, in the left pane you've expanded the Visual C# item.  The standard  Visual Studio items are:

Windows
NET Framework
Smart Device
Database
Starter Kits

If the IdeaBlade.CAB wizards are installed properly, then

IdeaBlade.Cab

should also be present.

If you select it, the right pane should show two items:

CAB Module
Search Online Templates...

Select "CAB Module", enter a module name and click OK.

Questions:

1.  What version of Visual Studio are you running (2005?  2008?)
2.  Are the standard Visual Studio items present in your dialog?
3.  Is the "IdeaBlade.Cab" item missing in your dialog?

Bill J.
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 10:44am
1.  What version of Visual Studio are you running (2005?  2008?) 2005 Professional
2.  Are the standard Visual Studio items present in your dialog? Yes
3.  Is the "IdeaBlade.Cab" item missing in your dialog? Yes
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 1:01pm
OK. 

The wizard installer installs in MyDocuments folder of the user who does the install.  So...

Did you install the wizards under the same user account as you are using when trying to create a new IdeaBlade.Cab application?

If not, try:

Under the original installation account, use ControlPanel->Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the IdeaBlade Cab Wizards

Then re-install under the account where you're creating the application.

Let me know the results.

Sorry for the difficulties.

Bill Jensen
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 1:07pm
I installed everything using the same Administrator account, and created the application using that same account.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 4:05pm
OK....

Under your Administrator account, look and see if this folder exists and if it has the file "CabModule.zip" in it:

My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab

Are you running XP or Vista?

Bill J.
B

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 6:18am
Yes, "CabModule.zip" is in two folders:
1. My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab
2. My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab
I'm running XP.
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 12:34pm
This is turning into a major head-scratcher.

The presence of the CabModule.zip file in the IdeaBlade.Cab folder should be sufficient to make the folder and template appear in the Add->New Project... dialog.

The CabModule.zip file should not be present in the ItemTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab folder.  Instead, there should be seven other .zip files and a \Guidance folder.

I can't understand how you could end up with a partial or incorrect installation of the wizards, given that you installed with administrative privilege and the installation completed without errors.  I'll consult with my colleagues and try to figure out some next steps.

Meanwhile, try this to gain another data point:

1. Open a Visual Studio command prompt with:

Start->All Programs->Microsoft Visual Studio 2005->Visual Studio Tools->Visual Studio2005 Command Prompt
  2. Run the commands:

gacutil -l IdeaBlade.Wizards

and

gacutil -l IdeaBlade.CabTemplateWizards

There should be exactly one version of each of these assemblies in the GAC.  The CabTemplateWizards assembly should be version 2.3.0.0.  The Wizards assembly should be 1.0.x.y.

We'll keep at it until we figure it out.

Thanks for your patience.

Bill Jensen
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 1:19pm
My mistake.  The "CabModule.zip" file is not in the ItemTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab folder. 
It is however in the ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab folder, as you suggested.

The ItemTemplates\Visual C#\IdeaBlade.Cab folder contains 6 zip files rather than 7 (if that matters) and a \Guidance folder:
1. DotNetGridView.zip
2. SearchResultsPage.zip
3. SummaryDetailPage.zip
4. ControlView.zip
5. GridBuilder.zip
6. SearchSummaryDetailPage.zip

The two commands did yield in exactly one version of each of these:
IdeaBlade.Wizards - Version=1.0.2805.33126
IdeaBlade.CabTemplateWizards - Version=2.3.0.0

IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Jensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 2:26pm

OK, got another idea:

In Visual Studio, select Tools->Options...

In the left pane, expand the Projects and Solutions item and select General

Be sure the Visual Studio user project templates location is set to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates

and the Visual Studio user item templates location is set to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ItemTemplates.

You might need to close and re-open Visual Studio after changing this (or maybe not).

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Bill

Post Options Post Options   Quote tjones2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 6:20am
That was it.
I moved my "My Documents" folder earlier and Studio was still referencing the default path.
The VisualC#>IdeaBlade.Cab item is now present with one template available, "Cab Module".
Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply