New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Is it possible to add this kind of field in the form without adding it in the model ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible to add this kind of field in the form without adding it in the model ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to add this kind of field in the form without adding it in the model ?
    Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 10:45am

Following the recent conference call between IdeaBlade and Atos Origin, I would like to expose you a typical technical problem which we often encounter and we want to solve with IdeaBlade.

To understand the issue, I will take your tutorial database example - with customers, orders, suppliers, etc -.

I create a new IdeaBlade application and I map the database with the object mapper tool and design a form based on this model, specifically for the customer entity. In this entity we get a first name and a last name and there is no field which represent a combined result between the two (full name). I would like to know if it is possible to add this kind of field in the form without adding it in the model (i.e. not in the business Customer entity). Instead we add the "full name" as a "custom binding source property", which we can then code as a getter and/or setter. This means that the formatting ("Bruno laoueille", "Bruno LAOUEILLE ", "Bruno A. LAOUEILLE ", "LAOUEILLE, Bruno", etc.) stays in the presentation layer and can be different in different binding scenarios... In real life we have some scenarios a lot more complex.

To conclude, I would like to know how IdeaBlade resolves this kind of problem.

IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 10:46am
We do support that scenario with a feature of our DevForce product called "Dynamic Properties".

I put together a solution that illustrates dynamic properties. I think I've managed to follow your example.

I have uploaded the solution as zip file to a "private" place on our web site. You can download it from:

I also produced a 17 minute video walk-through of this solution. You can play it by clicking:

Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply