New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: I want to be able to detect if the database is available BEFORE showing my login
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

I want to be able to detect if the database is available BEFORE showing my login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Customer View Drop Down
User Submitted Questions to Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote Customer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to be able to detect if the database is available BEFORE showing my login
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 3:59pm
I'm new to IdeaBlade so bare with me if this seems basic. I'm developing an application that I want to provide Offline functionality. I want to be able to detect if the database is available BEFORE showing my login. If it's not available I want to load the offline data, otherwise I want to continue on using the connected database.
IdeaBlade View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdeaBlade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 4:00pm

Several other options -

• The .NET class NetworkInterface GetIsNetworkAvailable() method can tell you if any network connection is available.
  • The IdeaBlade.Util.HttpFns.PingServer() method can be used to test if the server is available.  This method has also been tweaked a bit for the 3.5.0 release coming next week to better identify availability conditions.

A Login is required before calling CheckDataSourceKey as a security precaution.  I guess it could be argued either way as to whether this is wise, but that's the way it works now.

Post Reply Post Reply