FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

failed to run tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hesham Desouky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hesham Desouky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: failed to run tutorial
    Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 8:50am
Hello
when I tried to run the first binding tutorial I got the following error:

"Cannot bind to the property or column __Manager_LastName on the DataSource.
Parameter name: dataMember"

When I tried to access the manager properties, it retrieves data correctly, so I thought it is a binding problem

any ideas?
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 10:03am
I think that you may have discovered the following bug which we have yet to fix:

All Fundamentals tutorials from Populating a WinForm on have the following code in the EmployeeForm.Designer code file:

#region .
        protected override void OnLoad(System.EventArgs e) {
          base.OnLoad(e);
          ConfigureManagerComboBox();
        }

private void ConfigureManagerComboBox() {
          IdeaBlade.UI.WinForms.ControlBindingDescriptor bd =
            this.mEmployeesCBM.Descriptors.Get(mManagerComboBox);
          bd.DataSourceUpdateMode = System.Windows.Forms.DataSourceUpdateMode.OnPropertyChanged;
        }
        #endregion

This was put in to simulate a DevForce behavior that was to be included in the next release (relative to the date when the tutorial was being constructed). The behavior would basically have made DataSourceUpdateMode = OnPropertyChanged the default for ComboBox bound in DevForce BindingManagers.  The decision to include this change in the product was subsequently reversed, but the tutorial code (and associated tutorial and exercise scripts) never got changed to reflect that reversal. Consequently they now reflect a behavior that you only get if you include the above code in your own solution, but which is described as behavior you "get for free" with DevForce.

Fix would involve removing said code from Beginning Solution and Ending Solutions in seven instructional units (14 total solutions), replacing it with code in the EmployeeForm that would produce the same behavior by overt means, and revising the tutorial and exercise scripts that refer to the behavior incorrectly.  I believe it is only the scripts for "Populating a Winform" that have the error, shown below:

ð      Go to the Manager ComboBox and select a different Manager. Notice the Manager’s photo updates automatically.

You don’t remember programming that? Neither do we. That’s data binding working for you.

According to the customer who reported this (Kenneth Hodges of Sipantic), the error is also made in a video.  I presume the video at issue is that for "Populating a Winform".

Edited by davidklitzke - 09-Jul-2007 at 8:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply