FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

non db entity handling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heyyou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote heyyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: non db entity handling
    Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 6:18pm
Hi

Whilst we are using Ideablade for our database entity CRUD operations, we also have some file based objects that need to be managed.  What is the suggested method for accessing these types of elements when using Ideablade?  Should we be adding a standard silverlight WCF service to our web app (which currently seems to break ideablade although I havent investigated fully yet as to the why or wherefore of this), or is there a way to integrate these kinds of operations with the Ideablad EntityManager?

Regards
Stuart
heyyou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote heyyou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 7:17pm
Further to my exploration of this I notice that if I do add a Silverlight WCF service to the web app, the client definitely cannot find the Ideablade service (error returned is "The remote server returned an error: Not Found")
 unless I remove the

<serviceHostingEnvironment aspNetCompatibilityEnabled="true" />

config line. Once removed, Ideablade is back on line.
However, I would still like to know whether this is the appropriate architecture for accessing non entity based objects.

Regards
Stuart 
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2009 at 8:26pm
Regarding the problem with aspNetCompatibilityEnabled, this has been fixed as of version 5.1.1, available tomorrow.  In prior versions the DevForce services would not work when this flag was enabled.

We have no recommendation about non-database entities.  You could write a web/WCF service and consume them directly, or consume them as an addition to your domain model (although web service backed objects in DevForce Universal/SL have some limitations).  Version 5.1.1 has also introduced support for POCO objects - so you could also write your own very simple provider and then consume these objects via the DevForce EntityManager.  The release notes will have more information on this.
 Post Reply Post Reply