FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Microsoft.CSharp.dll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microsoft.CSharp.dll
    Posted: 27-Apr-2010 at 5:03pm
Hi, Is devforce SL v6 now dependant on the Microsoft.CSharp.dll? Im just currently trying to shrink my xap as much as possible for deployment and this is a new dll that has just come in from upgrading to v6. (This is a vb project)

davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 12:45pm
IdeaBlade.EntityModel.SL has a reference to Microsoft.CSharp.dll.
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 1:25pm
Thanks. Is there anything I can do about it? The only reason I ask is that the microsoft.Csharp.dll is 466kb and it does bloat my xap file.
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2010 at 3:44pm
Nothing you can do at the moment. I doubt we can escape a dependency on it.

Despite the name, upon reflection (with Reflector) it doesn't appear that CSharp.dll has much to do with C# per se. You become dependent upon it the moment you take advantage of the "dynamic" keyword and runtime compilation via C#.

Documentation is not abundant on this library as we see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.csharp(VS.71).aspx 

You'll get an error complaining about its absence if you have an assembly with out it (and without DevForce, which pulls it in implicitly) ... an error such as:

One or more types required to compile a dynamic expression cannot be found. Are you missing references to Microsoft.CSharp.dll and System.Core.dll?

I'll bet if you used Dynamic in a VB app you'd find yourself dependent upon it too.

Dynamic is a mighty powerful tool ... although the 1/2 Meg price tag does seem steep.

At least Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll supports VB-specific functionality.

For those who don't know, Microsoft.CSharp.dll is in the Silverlight SDK. On a 32 bit machine the location would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\Libraries\Client.

Edited by WardBell - 28-Apr-2010 at 3:51pm
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 9:58am
We think we can remove our dependency on CSharp.dll from the Silverlight version of IdeaBlade.EntityModel. We are hopeful of success by our next release (but no promise).
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 3:11pm
Hi Ward, Did you have any luck on removing the csharp.dll from the entitymodel?
Thanks
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 3:24pm

We no longer depend upon it as of DF 6.0.3 ... which we expect to release early this week!

*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 4:04pm

Great stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply