FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Accessing BOS from inside and outside our company

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GeorgeB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GeorgeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accessing BOS from inside and outside our company
    Posted: 18-May-2010 at 9:49am
Hi

We're going to deploy our Silverlight application into our DMZ (outside our firewall). This means we could access the application from two different IP addresses. Our external clients have an IP and internally the server has a different IP.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

http://www.ideablade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1738&KW=proxy seems to be my solution but I'm wondering how I'll know I'm outside of our internal network so I can assign the correct IP.

Kr
George
ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2010 at 3:20pm

Typically, the external IP will also be visible to the internal users, unless you're doing something more exotic.  The traffic will go through the gateway, but that generally is not a problem. 

GeorgeB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GeorgeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2010 at 11:44am
Hi ting

Definitely we have different IP's (otherwise I wouldn't have asked now would I - <sarcasm off>).

We have a strict corporate firewall policy and all our internal IP's are on the generic 10.* range.

The server in the DMZ is outside the firewall and has an external IP. I ping that server from my desk with a 10.* address but externally with a 196.* address

Our roll-out is first to our internal sales people and then to the biggest clients so I have to cater for both.

Kr
George
ting View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote ting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2010 at 6:07pm
George - I'm just checking the basics. ;)  There are some folks here who aren't familiar with networking configuration.

I don't have anything terribly enlightening, but if you want to detect if you're outside the LAN, you could perform a ping (or equivalent) to the external 196.* address.  If that fails, then use the 10.* internal address in the ServiceProxyEvents subclass as referred to in the post.

GeorgeB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote GeorgeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 1:22am
Hi ting

No problem - I was having a bad day yesterday anyway :-)

I'll try a few things and if I have a nice solution I'll post it here for anyone who might have a similar issue.

Kr
George

Post Reply Post Reply