FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MVC Samples/Tutorials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MVC Samples/Tutorials
    Posted: 24-Aug-2010 at 5:16pm
Hi All, I was just wondering if there was any DevForce samples for MVC at all?

Thanks
WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2010 at 11:25am
We don't have any. I have heard of customers who used DevForce with MVC but these were passing comments and I don't remember who made them. Feeling chagrin.

Clearly MVC has not been our focus. We know it is hugely popular. If I were building HTML apps, I would definitely go the MVC/jQuery route.

Would you mind giving us a little background? No need to reveal state secrets ... but we'd love to know the kind of scenarios that make MVC compelling to you.

If you are determined to go MVC and willing to share your findings with the community, we be pleaed to support you with some extra attention as you progress.
BillG View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote BillG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2010 at 12:39pm
I have a devforce classic app in which I used MVC. I am now test developing an app in Devforce 2010 for a prospective client and using MVVM. I love the MVVM framework. It is far superior to MVC. I couldn't imagine during another app using MVC. There are a lot of similarities, but I think that MVVM is much better suited to Wpf and Silverlight then MVC. I see MVC as something from the past and MVVM as its replacement.

Bill

WardBell View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote WardBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2010 at 1:05pm
@BillG.  Boy it sure is easy to confuse the patterns with the implementations. In this case, I think Calsy is talking about the ASP MVC product (or maybe the OS Fubu MVC) rather than the MVC pattern.

I agree that for WPF/SL development, the MVVM pattern is usually the way to go; you have a ton of implementations to choose from.
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2010 at 1:19pm
Hi Ward, You are correct i did mean asp net MVC.

This will be my first real web page development (previously just winforms, wpf and silverlight development) and from all the research ive done i have found and been told that i would get more out of going down the MVC root.

Also after watching multiple vids off the http://www.asp.net/mvc website i can see why they are saying that it is the next big thing. Also the technology suits the website i am developing to a tee.

I did start a quick prototype and created the edmx file and set the appropriate ideablade booleans in the model properties but when it came to generate the developer classes i got an error saying something like item or key already exists in the collection (sorry im not at my dev computer right now) i will be able to supply you with the exact error later. It had something to do with the T4 template that the ideablade ".tt" file was trying to use on line 16.

Thats why i asked if there was any examples just to double check i wasnt being a goose and fudging something up.

I think if there was even a devForce example with asp.net webforms that would suffice.

Thanks
*Calsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote *Calsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2010 at 2:29pm
Any luck on a sample? Or advice on what would be causing the error?

I double checked this wasnt a vb issue (created a c# project exact same happened).

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply