FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Capturing Changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jipock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jipock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capturing Changes
    Posted: 25-Apr-2011 at 9:55am
Good Afternoon,

I'm looking to expand my application to perform some better logging. One thing I've done is implement a Log Writer in the Save Interceptor and this will work fine.

Right now, however, I'm trying to write entity changes to the database  (think "User Name / Change Type / Before / After"). The User Name is easy enough, as is the change type (EntityState). But, I'm trying to capture Before and After now.

If I have an entity, say, "Property", that appears in a call to the EntityManager.FindEntities(EntityState.Modified) method, I get a collection of entities back. But, how is the best way to determine if the "Address" field or the "Phone Number" field has been modified? And, if I can determine it, is there a way to get a before and after state?

Looking through the documentation didn't give an answer, and I thought that since DevForce has a "Reject Changes" function on the Entity Manager, it MUST be saved somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jason
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2011 at 11:34am
Hi jipock,

You could check which property was changed in the PropertyChanged event:

var order = _mgr.Orders.GetFirstOrDefault();
     order.PropertyChanged += (o, e) => {
        _propertyChanged = e.PropertyName;
      };

Or you can compare compare the Current and Original property values of an entity to determine what has changed.
To get the Current and Original values you can use GetValue():

var original = order.EntityAspect.GetValue("Freight", EntityVersion.Original);
     var current = order.EntityAspect.GetValue("Freight", EntityVersion.Current);

Silvio.
jipock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jipock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2011 at 12:11pm
Much thanks, Silvio.

-J
 Post Reply Post Reply