FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BOS stops with no error and requires IIS Restart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BOS stops with no error and requires IIS Restart
    Posted: 10-Jun-2011 at 12:17am
Hi

We are having difficulties with the BOS at present.  It will run fine for a period of time (minutes to hours).  Then it will stop and we can no longer connect to it.  We are connecting on port 443.  We get errors like:

Unable to connect to the https:/....persisteneceService.rem.  The server or internet connection may be down.

The Test.ASPX page continues to work fine.  So there appears to be no issue with the website.  Restarting the website does not fix the BOS issue.  We need to restart IIS and the BOS immediately comes good again.

Sadly i have not been able to find any helpful errors in the logs.  The system event logs have nothing of relevance in them that i can find.  The DebugLog.xml seems to get cleared when the BOS stops.  So all i have in the log is what you see below.

Obviously this issue is a big one for us at present so hoping you can help us troubleshoot it.

We are using version 3.7.2.0.

Thanks
Andrew

<?xml version="1.0"?><?xml:stylesheet href="DebugLog.xsl" type="text/xsl"?><log>
<entry id="0" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.TraceFileXmlLogger:GetLogHeader">------------ Log Created ------------</entry>
<entry id="1" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.TraceFns:.cctor">IdeaBladeConfig resolution: File: C:\inetpub\schoolpro_bos\log\IdeaBlade.ibconfig - found</entry>
<entry id="2" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.TraceFns:.cctor">IdeaBladeConfig resolution: Logging file: C:\inetpub\schoolpro_bos\log\DebugLog.xml</entry>
<entry id="3" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.TraceFns:Initialize">Bound to .NET runtime version 2.0.50727.4206</entry>
<entry id="4" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.TraceFns:Initialize">DevForce version 3.7.2.0</entry>
<entry id="5" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Util.IdeaBladeConfig:Initialize">IdeaBlade License: 'Enterprise' on Assembly: 'Model, Version=0.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
</entry>
<entry id="6" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Persistence.PersistenceServiceApplication:OnServiceStartup">PersistenceService created</entry>
<entry id="7" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Persistence.Server.PersistenceServer:.ctor">PersistenceServer created for DataSourceExtension: SPcoc</entry>
<entry id="8" timestamp="2011-06-10T16:39:43" username="" source="IdeaBlade.Persistence.Server.SessionManager:GetPersistenceLoginManager">Probed for 'IPersistenceLoginManager' and found Server.LoginManager</entry>
</log>

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2011 at 12:16pm

Hi Andrew,
The debuglog will recycle when archiving is off when the server starts up again, so that's why you're losing the old log.  Since we may need the log to help diagnose what's going on here, the next time it stops working grab the log before you restart IIS, or alternately set the archiveLogs to true in the ibconfig -

<logging>
    <archiveLogs>false</archiveLogs>
    <logFile>DebugLog.xml</logFile>
  </logging>

Was your application previously working OK and just started acting up?  Has anything changed recently - application changes, a DevForce upgrade, windows updates?  Anything?

Have there been any changes in how your client application uses the BOS - do you have more users connecting?  Do you maybe have fewer users and more periods where the BOS is idle?

Is anything written to the client application logs when they can't connect that would help?  If an exception was thrown it might be logged, but if not, do you have more information on the exception (and inner exceptions)?

agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 7:47am
Thanks for your response Kim.

I have changed the logging option but sadly it has not revealed anything useful.  The log simply restarted at a standard query made by our software.  No errors. 

We have only been using the BOS for a very short period on this server.  We have had it installed on another server on which it seemed to be ok.  So I am guessing it has been doing this on the new server since it started.

There are *very* few users accessing it presently - one or two at most.  So the load on it wont be the problem.

The client simply reports that it is "Unable to connect to the https:/....persisteneceService.rem.  The server or internet connection may be down."  As mentioned above, the site is fine and the test.aspx page display fine. 

Are there any settings in the IIS website that i should check?  Maybe permissions - i am running it under an application pool using a new user account.  What about  SSL?  i am connecting via port 443.  Is there any way i can check the state of the server? 

Thanks
Andrew

agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 8:13am
Oh, there does not seem to be any real consistency to the failure either.  I have just logged in and out from two PCs many times and I have not been able to get it to fail.  However, prior to that it failed within just a few minutes of restarting the IIS.  So that would suggest that maybe it is not related to our connections much at all.  Will keep testing...
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 10:49am
I'd turn archiving of the debug logs on for awhile, just so you do have logs to check, then we should know with certainty whether anything useful is ever logged.
If you haven't already, check the Event Viewer too.  There may be something in the system or application logs.

Also see if you can test the low usage use case:  a single application making sporadic requests over many hours. 

Which version of IIS are you running and on what OS?

agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 5:47am
Thanks Kim

Have left Archiving on and will try and identify a pattern.  This morning i logged in and out about 20 times from different pcs and all was well.  Came back 5 hours later after which nothing had been done on it and it had died ... partially. 

In the last day i have noticed a different issue (which is also solved by an IIS restart).  One client can sometimes continue to connect but the second client times out.  This is different to the first issue where it would return with the message that the 'internet might be down'.

The OS is Windows Server Enterprise 2008 SP2 32 bit.

IIS is v7.

Would you expect that we would get any more error messages if we ran the ServerConcole.exe?  The big challenge at present is that the problem is occurring with no error logging that i can find anywhere.  So any steps in that direction would be good.

Edited by agrogers - 14-Jun-2011 at 5:56am
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 7:53am
You won't get any more error messages when hosting the BOS in either the ServerConsole or the ServerService.  (If you get fed up with trying to deploy in IIS, the ServerService (a Windows Service) is the next best option.)

The following may help -
agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 8:43am
Many thanks Kim.  The first link was very similar to what i was experiencing yesterday.  I made that change and things immediately improved (i was getting very rare connections in the last hour).  So fingers crossed that was the problem!  For future reference, I needed add the following to web.config:

<system.webServer>
<security>
   <requestFiltering allowDoubleEscaping="True"/>
 </security>
</system.webServer>

I will let you know how things proceed.

Thanks
Andrew
agrogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote agrogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 6:11am
Well Kim, the BOS has been running for about 24 hours now without needing an IIS restart.  So i think the fix above has worked for us.  Am sleeping a little easier tonight.  Many thanks.

Andrew
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 6:52am
That's great news, thanks for the update!
 Post Reply Post Reply