FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Code First Testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JChris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Code First Testing
    Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 8:43am
I am exploring using Code First to maintain our database design in source control, replicate our database to developers, and possibly even to update clients. I have gone through several tutorials on Code First, including Wards. The hello world examples from Ward and Julie Lehrner are very helpful, however I've run into some errors applying this to my complex database. Especially trying to implement migrations. At this point, I could imagine spending a month learning/implementing it. Are there any other good resources out there? Is this recommended by DevForce as a feasable solution for keeping developer in sync? updating potentially hundreds or thousands of customers?
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 11:32am
We don't have a lot of real world experience with migrations yet, but it's certainly promising. Code-First vs. Model-First vs. Database-First really depends on your situation. If you have an existing DB, then going CF involves some work for example. There is Code-Second, that allows you to generate Code-First classes from an existing DB, but you are still left with a lot of cleanup. If you start green field on the other hand, then Code-First makes a lot of sense. 
 Post Reply Post Reply