FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

WinRT DevForce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
halloweenx8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WinRT DevForce
    Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 8:04am
We have a DevFOrce Silverlight App that we want to move to Windows  8/WinRT, i use DevForce Code First while I was creating the SL app, it does not seem possible to use the same business object in WinRT, am I right?

These Attributes cannot be found in WinRT
    [ProvideEntityAspect]
    [Table("table name")]
    [Column("column name")]

IdeaBlade.Aop and Post sharp are not available either.

How do I get the Entity State if I cannot use those? Will Database first help?

thanks
Jean

"If You are Not Making Mistakes, then You are Not Doing Anything.”
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 9:01am
DevForce Code First models aren't supported in WinRT just yet.  We need PostSharp for WinRT to make this possible, and that's coming soon.  We expect to have Code First support within the November time frame.

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 9:25am
Great, now what about Cocktail and composition for WinRT, I know cocktail works but there are no example for WinRT that I can find.
Jean

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 9:56am
There are two Cocktail Windows Store app samples available in the source code download here - http://cocktail.codeplex.com/releases.  One is a "Todo" sample and the other is called "NavSample".  Both are in the src\samples folder.

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 10:17am
ooops, i'll review these thanks a lot 
Jean

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 3:16pm
After reviewing the Todo example, i understand that everything happens on the WinRT client and only data gets transferred back and forth between the backend and application. 

This seems to be somewhat similar to Breeze or other JS framework.  I thought it was the other way around. 

Am I on the right track? Is there another way more similar to Silverlight?

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2012 at 3:50pm
I'm not sure I follow you.  The support for Windows Store apps in DevForce is very similar to Silverlight apps.  In both cases, and with any other client type as well, you can query and save complex entity types.   All the usual server-side DevForce features are available, regardless of the client type.   What's missing in our Window Store support right now is Code First models, but that will be coming later this year.   Derick, your account manager, can help explain the features of our products and fit them to your needs.
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2012 at 4:21am
Jean,
I'm also confused. Windows Store apps are very comparable to Silverlight. Just as with Silverlight, one can't use Entity Framework directly on the client or connect to a DB directly. There needs to be a middle tier. You'll notice that both examples that Kim mentioned contain a server project. The difference between Windows 8 Store apps and Silverlight is that with Windows Store apps the client must be installed via the Windows Store or side-loaded if you have the correct Enterprise license. With Silverlight, the client app gets delivered over the web, but once delivered, the application runs on the client just like Windows Store apps and WPF apps. Optionally with Silverlight one can install the app as well and run out-of-browser. 

What's common on all the platforms, is that the application always runs on the client, never on the server. The server executes queries in behalf of the client, sends data back to the client, saves changes coming from the client and executes optional logic as part of the query and/or save pipeline. The paradigm DevForce and Cocktail embrace is the same as Breeze. Rich client computing where data is cached and operated on on the client and the application is only going back to the server if it needs new data or save changes.

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 7:34am
Right, I understand that, but we need to hide some proprietary business logic, here is an example

let's say you have a invoice with line items, and the user change the quantity of one of the items he is buying, so here i want the invoice to be recalculated on the server not on the client, then when back from the server the invoice would be refreshed.

can you do something like that with DevForce?

let me know 
thanks

Post Options Post Options   Quote halloweenx8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 11:23am
is this what I need to use
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 11:29am
Yes, you can use the remote service methods whenever your client application needs to communicate with the server apart from the usual query/save mechanisms.  You can read more about what's available on the server here - http://drc.ideablade.com/devforce-2012/bin/view/Documentation/application-server-tier.
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by halloweenx8

is this what I need to use

That or you can have logic in the SaveInterceptor.

Post Reply Post Reply