FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Design Time Support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Design Time Support
    Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 7:22am
I notice in the Harness project there is some design time support using the ViewModelLocator and DesignTimeResourceMgtUnitOfWorkManager.

I am trying to get this going, for example on the StaffingResourceSummaryView. However, when I switch over to design view, it throws an error:

You must first set a valid CompositionProvider by using Composition.SetProvider.

I like the idea of Design time support as when I am tweaking out a GUI, getting a visual is the only way to go.

Greg
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 7:29am
Is this happening in TempHire or your own solution? If it's in TempHire, can you do me a favor and open a bug on github? 

gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 8:58am
TempHire. I just opened an issue on github.

Greg
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2013 at 9:19am
Thanks. I will investigate.
mgood View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote mgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2013 at 1:02pm
Greg,
I wanted to set some expectations before I fix this bug. Currently, DevForce doesn't fully support design time data. In particular you can't use code-first at design time. There are security constraints at design time that cause DF to fail when trying to load the metadata. You can suggest a feature on our new User Voice site for DevForce if full design time data support is important to you. I can fix the current bug in Cocktail, but that only gets you so far. 

gregweb View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote gregweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2013 at 2:19pm
Hi Marcel,

Don't worry about this. I have been able to get what I want by using:

d:DataContext="{d:DesignInstance Type=designTime:DesignTimeViewModel, IsDesignTimeCreatable=True}"

All I do is create a DesignTimeViewModel with one property of an Entity. I just hand code a bit of data into the entity and it all shows up in the designer just fine.

So that's really all I need to lay out a view.

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply