FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Entity Cache Merge & SignalR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zero-G. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zero-G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entity Cache Merge & SignalR
    Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 8:10am
Hey

As I found in this Topic: Documentation of Merge query result
I think, that DevForce wants this for using with SignalR to get the changed entites to the Client which use push notifications (not only for this, I know, but it will be an Option)
But, there I got a question to this.
Wan't this be a too big amount of data to send over the Network?
Can I measure the data, which will be transmitted with this Approach?

Hope I get some Response to this.
THX a lot - Have a nice Weekend!
Zero-G.
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 9:22am
Hi Zero-G,

SignalR has a 4k message size limit. (see https://github.com/SignalR/SignalR/issues/2247)

In this case, I'd suggest sending the ids instead and performing a RefetchEntities on the client.
Zero-G. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zero-G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2013 at 11:50pm
Hey
Thanks for your Suggestion.
"But" This SignalR issue was triggered by me. So, this only belongs to WebSocket Connections AND the .NET Client. If you Change the Transport protocol to LongPolling, then this bottleneck is gone. Also the 4K Limitation should only be from Client to Server and not in the other direction.
So, probably the solution itself would not be so wrong? - But as the main question is. - Can I measure the size of the entities?
THX
sbelini View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbelini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2013 at 10:22am
Zero-G,

Unfortunately, within DevForce there is not a way to measure the size of the entities.
The reason I mentioned the size limitation is that while playing with SignalR, I found that I could send up to a X number of entities to the client, while X+1 entities would not make it. So rather than measuring the size of the data being sent and choosing the method (sending ids vs. entities) depending on this size, I would simply opt for sending the ids.
 Post Reply Post Reply