FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] App Suddenly Broken!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] App Suddenly Broken!
    Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 1:34pm
I opened one of my application projects, double-clicked a view to work on and was faced with the white screen of death.  No panic.  I rebuilt.  Wham!!  Tons of errors...over 7000 like this:

The type or namespace name 'IdeaBlade' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Ok.  Close IDE and reopen.  Rebuild.  Same set of errors.  All references look fine.  Versions are good.  Physical files actually exist in the location specified. 

Not sure what to do from this point.

Please note:  this is not a CAB application.

Edited by Linguinut - 03-Oct-2007 at 1:52pm
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 1:49pm
Remove all references to all IdeaBlade assemblies and readd them.

That is what I did to fix the problem.  Now, can anyone venture why this may have occurred?
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 2:05pm
You had the "Specific Version" property of your references set to "True".  You may fixed your problem the wrong way.  You should set the "Specific Version" property of your references to False.
Linguinut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linguinut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 2:13pm

I found the reference to "Specific Version" on page 492 (last page) of the Developers Guide.   It states:

This is a bizarre artifact of Visual Studio 2005 that only occurs for some projects after you’ve upgraded versions of software and / or upgraded Visual Studio or .NET itself.

We’ve seen it with IdeaBlade.Util. We’ve seen it with references to 3rd party assemblies (e.g., nunit.framework) as well.

We have not figured out why it happens but it is easy to address.

š    Remove the reference from your project.

š    Re-add the reference.

š    Re-build the project.

š    Remember to set “Specific Version” to “false”.

Oddly enough, I did not upgrade DevForce or Visual Studio, so something else must be amiss within that project.  I will set these assemblies "Specific Version" properties to false, though.  Preventative measure.

Edited by Linguinut - 02-Oct-2007 at 2:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply