FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Microsoft.Bcl.Async package

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stephenmcd1 View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote stephenmcd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microsoft.Bcl.Async package
    Posted: 13-Mar-2014 at 3:33pm
Over in this thread, I see things like:
Regarding use of ConfigureAwait(false) in Silverlight, this looks like a bug in the Async Targeting Pack.  DevForce uses version 1 of the "Async Targeting Pack for Visual Studio 11" to provide async support to Silverlight applications.  This pack has actually been deprecated in favor of the Microsoft.Bcl.Async package, but we haven't made this upgrade yet.
and
I don't have an ETA but I can tell you that it won't be included in the upcoming 7.2.2 release. 

The new package adds several assemblies and is about 10x larger than the targeting pack, so we've been holding off on this until we saw a demand.  We'll see about including this in a release before year end.

I was wondering if there is any update to this?  The 'year end' has come and gone.  We are looking to upgrade from DevForce 2010 to 2012 but we are using the Microsoft.Bcl.Async package and it is causing all kinds of problems to have both async packages.

Is there any workarounds available that allow us to use 2012 while still using the Microsoft.Bcl.Async package?
stephenmcd1 View Drop Down
DevForce MVP
DevForce MVP

Post Options Post Options   Quote stephenmcd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2014 at 4:31pm
As I've been thinking about this issue more, it might not be the end of the world if Dev Force doesn't move to the Microsoft.Bcl.Async package right away.  We only upgraded our project to use the new package somewhat recently.  Before that, we were using the Async Targeting Pack.  And actually, we've been somewhat unhappy with the new package because it makes stack traces almost useless.  The old Async Targeting Pack did a much better job of giving us helpful stack traces.

Also, we never really had any problems (that we know of) related to using the old package.  Microsoft is certainly pushing the new package but it seems like the old one is still perhaps a valid option.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
-Stephen
 Post Reply Post Reply