FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Large File Progress Indicator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JPeacock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JPeacock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large File Progress Indicator
    Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 1:07pm
Hi,
I've recently used Ideablade to create an "Attachment" section for our program.  Allowing users to upload and download to the database any file they want.  It works great for small files.  But the larger the file gets the longer the pause is (naturally), and I was told to not restrict the size of the files because we don't know the file sizes the users will be uploading.  For some larger files the program looks frozen.  Don't get me wrong I think the transfer rate is good, but in my implementation the user can't do anything until the SaveChanges has completed. 

I thought maybe of using a progress bar to indicate how much of the attachment is transfered and that the program isn't frozen.   Is this possible?  Is there anyway of finding out that say a block of 128, 256, 512 or even 1024 kb has been transfered?  Which i could then use to increment my progress bar.

Or should I just go back to the designer and say we have to cap it?  Should I try an Async style save which I read about on these forums. 

I'm saving using the following
mPerManager.SaveChanges(New Attachment() {AttachmentBS.Current})

Any suggestions?
davidklitzke View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidklitzke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 12:41pm
You should be able to do this with a file progress indicator, but this is not a DevForce feature.  It is a .NET feature.  I would search the Internet for an example of how to do this.
 Post Reply Post Reply