FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Object Mapper issues in VS2008 SP1(release)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
allo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote allo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Object Mapper issues in VS2008 SP1(release)
    Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 7:53am

I installed DevForce EF into VS 2008 SP1, and the Object Mapper seems to be extremely slow and unresponsive. Clicking anywhere on the main menu takes 2 seconds just to display a submenu etc, same with expanding the treeview or using its pop-up menu. The CPU goes up for the 2 seconds. Also, when focused on a particular entity and  scrolled toward Verification-related flags, the tool compeltely crashes with "Error:oldValue has incorrect type for this property".

These issues occur in 100% of cases on two workstations with VS2008 SP1, but not on another machine of exactly the same type, only running VS 2008 SP1Beta, which got me thinking that the problem is only present on VS 2008 SP1(release).

Please help!
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 12:58pm
Which version of DevForce EF are you running?

allo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote allo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by kimj

Which version of DevForce EF are you running?

kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 1:59pm
I'd strongly urge you to upgrade to version 4.2.1.5.   If you need to stay at version 4.2.0.x - and there really shouldn't be any reason to - contact support to make sure you have the released version of 4.2.0.x built on SP1.
allo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote allo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2008 at 6:48am

I'd strongly urge you to upgrade to version 4.2.1.5.   If you need to stay at version 4.2.0.x - and there really shouldn't be any reason to - contact support to make sure you have the released version of 4.2.0.x built on SP1.

Ok, I downloaded and installed v4.2.1.5., and the problem persists.
Navigating from one entity to another brings the tool down with the error below, and I can reproduce it in 100% of cases, both through the treeview and the entity list. 
"Error: newValue has incorrect type for this property" has also been observed a few times, but we're not sure what scenario reproduces it. 

(to IdeaBlade : Please let me know if you'd like to see it in action, and I'll set up a web meeting)
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2008 at 8:55am
Please send your EDMX file to support@ideablade.com.

Also, do you run any other Visual Studio add-ins, power tools or visualizers?
allo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote allo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2008 at 9:45am

Please send your EDMX file to support@ideablade.com.

Also, do you run any other Visual Studio add-ins, power tools or visualizers?

Aside from Team Explorer for TFS, no other add-ins. 
It's a fresh installation of VS2008 with SP1(release) installed on top of it.

JMSteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JMSteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2008 at 6:46pm
Was this issue successfully resolved and if so, how?
kimj View Drop Down
IdeaBlade
IdeaBlade

Post Options Post Options   Quote kimj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2008 at 7:55pm
No it was not.

Allo is running Vista64, which we believe may be a factor, but we have been unable to reproduce this error on any of our test machines.   The error is occurring within the Infragistics WPF grid used by the Object Mapper; we plan to rewrite the Object Mapper to use the WPF grid in the Jan/Feb release.

If you are also seeing this problem, please email support directly at support@ideablade.com.

JMSteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JMSteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2008 at 4:49am

I'm running the Enterprise EF trial on Vista x64 sp1 with VSTS 2008 sp1. Exact same problem desribed by Allo. Row selection in the Object Mapper upper grid raises the error ("oldValue has incorrect type for this property") every time. Selecting the entity in the treeview raises the error most of the time.

After reading your post suggesting Vista 64 as a factor, I installed the trial on a Win Xp Pro 32-bit system with VSPro 2008 sp1 and cannot reproduce the error at all. And that's just fine for my purposes, whch are limited to testing your EF enterprise trial so I can give my two cents about the product to a client. It's not a critical issue for me spend time on at this stage. And the client does no real world programming on Vista 64 bit machines anyway. It was intalled on the 64-bit machine purely as a matter of my convenience.

Thanks,

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply