Forum Discription: For .NET 3.5
URL: http://www.ideablade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1170
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 5:05am

Topic: How to install RC1 on a system with a 64-bit Operating System
Posted By: davidklitzke
Subject: How to install RC1 on a system with a 64-bit Operating System
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 8:16am

Try this cookbook on a 64-bit machine that has errors installing RC1:

1.    Find the "UserProjectTemplateLocation" value for the person doing the installation

2.    This can be found in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Visual Studio\9.0\UserProjectTemplateLocation

3.    This is almost always %UserProfile%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects

4.    Translate this value to a full path - Do not use the enviroment variable In my case it is:

C:\Documents and Settings\DavidK\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects

5.    Add a key for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IdeaBladev4\TemplateFolderLocation

6.    Set the value of this key to the "UserProjectTemplateLocation" value in step 4 for the person doing the installation

Install RC1

Replies:
Posted By: JoshO
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2009 at 11:09am
The instructions in the previous post are no longer needed since the installer has been fixed in a special release:

You can download the 64-bit compatible version on our website: http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceSilverlight/DevForceSilverlight_DownloadEditions.aspx - http://www.ideablade.com/DevForceSilverlight/DevForceSilverlight_DownloadEditions.aspx
Click on the text link: "Click here for the 64-bit Version" under the big green "Try Now" button.

Our next release of DevForce Silverlight in early May will have the 64-bit version incorporated into one installation with
the 32-bit version.

Posted By: bestcoder
Date Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 11:05am
Still getting the same error (network location not found for VB and C# template), so the new 64-bit installer hasn't solved the problem yet. Target is a newer Dell running XP 64-bit SP2 and the very latest VS.NET 2008 Team Enterprise.

Date Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 11:57am
The RC1 installer is very consistent. It fails at the same point every time and adds these items to the Windows app events list:

Product: IdeaBlade DevForce -- Error 1606.Could not access network location \Visual Basic.
Product: IdeaBlade DevForce -- Error 1606.Could not access network location \Visual C#.

Posted By: davidklitzke
Date Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 1:52pm
Did you get this zip file:  DevForceSilverlight-64bit.RC1.zip  ?

Have you opened and initialized Visual Studio?

If so, what do you have in the registry for:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Visual Studio\9.0\UserProjectTemplateLocation

Date Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 2:23pm
Yes, I extracted the zip, which created a folder named, "DevForceSilverlight-64bit.RC1" containing this file:

DevForceSilverlight.64bit.RC1.5002.exe 51,700,240 4-01-2009 4:24:18pm

The key that you mention has this value:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates

I previously tried changing %USERPROFILE% to "C:\Documents and Settings\<MyUsername>" as mentioned in another forum post but it didn't help the installer to avoid the error that it keeps getting.

Posted By: Waahnsinn
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2010 at 7:14am
Hello!

Got the same issue on an 32Bit Windows XP.

Resolved it by deleting the whole HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Visual Studio\10.0\ Path.
I didn't install Visual Stuido 2010, but Telerik Open Access created this Path...

Regards

Rainer Mertens

Print Page | Close Window