Print Page | Close Window

Using Authenticator server-side to Re-Login a Client-Side Session Key?

Printed From: IdeaBlade
Category: DevForce
Forum Name: DevForce 2010
Forum Discription: For .NET 4.0
URL: http://www.ideablade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3337
Printed Date: 19-Apr-2024 at 2:27pm

Topic: Using Authenticator server-side to Re-Login a Client-Side Session Key?
Posted By: Wokket
Subject: Using Authenticator server-side to Re-Login a Client-Side Session Key?
Date Posted: 14-Mar-2012 at 7:10pm
G'day all,

I'm updating the security code in one of our applications using the new Security stuff in 6.1.6.

As we use MVC controllers for certain complex server-side operations, I'm hoping to be able to pass (say) a SessionKey or a set of encrypted credentials from the AuthenticationContext on the silverlight client to the server, and be able to 'attach onto' that users session on the server.  This provides a small degree of security, but also allows better logging/auditing as we have access to the principal information.

Currently when I attempt this I receive an AuthenticationContext that has a LoginState == LoggedIn, but an unauthenticated principal.  This occurs whether I attempt to Login() with a valid guid session key, or a new one I've made up on the fly (ie, I can't tell from the AuthenticationContext whether the SessionKey is valid or not).

Interestingly, I wouldn't have expected a LoggedIn value for a dodgy sessionKey given I have allowAnonymousLogin set to false.

Is what I'm hoping to do possible?  Is there a better way?

Replies:
Posted By: sbelini
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 12:03pm
Hi Wokket,

I'm not sure what you mean by "and be able to 'attach onto' that users session on the server". If you are already authenticated, whatever operation is performed in the server will 'carry' that authentication in the server EM.

Can you provide additional details and a sample (using NorthwindIB, please) demonstration what you are trying to accomplish?

Regards,
   Silvio.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 1:53pm
G'day Silvio, Thanks for getting back to me.

Any operation we perform on the server as a result of an EM call from the client (ExecuteAsync() etc) does correctly pass authentication information back to the server, so no problems in the 'normal' DevFoce case :)

We host our own MVC Controllers for certain operations (For the same reasons DevForce provides RSMC functionality), however for historical reasons these Controllers (and the actions on them) already exist, so we haven't gone done the RSMC path.

However obviously we'd like to be able to keep making use of the client authentication info from the DevForce session, even though we've bypassed the DevForce WCF link back to the server (we're using Json if it's relevant).  Looking at the 6.1.6 API it looked as though we could pass the clients Session GUID to the controller, and then use the Authenticator.Login(Guid) overload to 're-activate' (if that's the best word) the clients session (and associated authentication information) within the scope of the MVC Action.

I'll get to work on a repro sample for you, but hopefully that's a better description of the issue we're currently trying to resolve.

Cheers,
Tim

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 11:04am
Hi Tim,

The RSMC would also 'carry' the authentication on the EM. However, since you are not using it, a sample would still be best to see what's happening.

Regards,
   Silvio.

Date Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 2:33pm
G'day Silvio,
I've attached a sample of the Login call that is not behaving as I'd expect.  I'm aware that RSMC would carry the auth context, however thats not a very enticing option TBH.   Any assistance you can give on how to make this work would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Tim uploads/1155/DevForceAuth.zip -
uploads/1155/DevForceAuth.zip

Date Posted: 29-Mar-2012 at 3:58pm
Thanks Tim,

I'll take a look.

Silvio.

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 3:44pm
Hi Tim,
It appears we have a bug. From what I observed, Login(sessionKey) is going thru the LoginManager when it should not.
I have filed a bug and will keep you updated.
Regards,
Silvio.

Print Page | Close Window