Forum Name: DevForce Classic
Forum Discription: For .NET 2.0
URL: http://www.ideablade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=406
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 4:20am

Topic: [ANSWERED] Handling Updates
Posted By: Linguinut
Subject: [ANSWERED] Handling Updates
Date Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 1:31pm
I am trying to implement the most recent updates for DevForce and DevExpress into Cabana.  What would be the easiest way to setup a DevForce/CAB/DevExpress application so that updates would be simple to implement.  Any updates now, to either DevForce or DevExpress, breaks Cabana (especially DevExpress).  I'd like to be able to keep the various pieces totally ignorant of one another and let CAB do the heavy lifting, but I am not sure if that is possible with the current setup.  Any suggestions about how to handle updates in the CAB environment?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Bill Jensen
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 10:58am

Upgrades to DevForce should be handled by assembly binding redirects added to the machine.config file by the installer of the new DevForce version.  We try to test Cabana with new versions of DevForce as soon as possible and provide a new version if necessary.

DeveloperExpress chooses to place the major/minor version number in their assembly names.  Patch releases can be handled with assembly binding redirects.  Minor and major upgrades (e.g., 7.2 to 7.3) require changes to references in the application.

Watch out for redirects in the App.config file as well.

Bill J.

Posted By: Linguinut
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 12:20pm
Thanks for the response.  I'll keep my guard up on the versioning and config files.  Not a problem.

Print Page | Close Window